I think this is pretty much the perfect Lemon Curd recipe. It takes about half an hour to put together and makes around three regular sized jam jars. I ought to be more specific I suspect, but my best advice is to ensure that you have at least an hour on hand and some good quality fresh bread on which to enjoy the fruits of your labour when you finish!
225 grams Unsalted Butter
350 grams White Castor Sugar
3 regular, or 6-8 small sterilised jam jars (wash with hot soapy water and then pop into a 100 degree centigrade oven for 10-15 mins)
- Zest and then juice the lemons, if you don’t have a lemon squeezer then using a fork works pretty well but just ensure you pick all the pips out!
- Gently beat the eggs to combine
- Using a hand mixer beat together the butter and sugar until it is well mixed and looks creamy.
- Continue to beat gently while adding the eggs and then the lemon zest and juice.
- DON’T PANIC! At this stage it will curdle and look fairly revolting, but I promise it will all work out!
- Now transfer the mixture to a heavy bottomed saucepan and stir continually over a slow to medium heat until the mixture thickens. This won’t take more than 10 minutes, and probably less, but you’ll know it’s about right when the mix covers the back of a wooden spoon and looks like this if you pull your finger across it.
- Pour into your prepared jars and allow to cool slightly before screwing on the lids.
- This will keep well in the fridge for a least two weeks…..if it lasts that long!
I highly recommend this curd slathered onto freshly toasted good quality bread or stirred through plain yoghurt, but it’s equally good on scones or used to sandwich together a simple sponge cake. Let me know how you enjoy yours?
If you’d like to keep in touch why not subscribe to my monthly newsletter by adding your details below? No spam I promise 🙂